Thursday, July 16, 2015

Busy Summer Days

We are halfway through our summer and I feel like we've been staying pretty busy. Between play dates with friends, going to the splash pad, the pool, and the playground, I can confidently say I've succeeded in wearing the kids out *almost* every day.
Early in the summer, I told the kids we would only be able to go to the pool on days that Josh is off and we can all go together. Then about mid-June, Josh started working 12+hours every day, 6 days a week...so he was never home for us to go to the pool. I decided to brave it and take the kids by myself. I told them ahead of time that we might have to leave if it doesn't work out, or we might have to just stay in the baby pool. They were OK with that. But when we got there, I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to handle all three of them in the big pool. I have to hold Nathaniel because he's still too small for floaties, but Audrey and Josh are good in theirs and they were so well behaved the whole time!! We actually stayed for 3 hours and even ordered a pizza! I was pretty impressed with myself, and I've taken them a few other times as well. Last week, Matthew, Cristina, and Lisa joined us and the kids were thrilled to be able to play with them. They love them so much!

Audrey started taking swim lessons in June. I felt like this summer would be the summer she would start asking to swim without floats, and she's brave enough to learn to swim, so it was just a matter of actually teaching her how. The class has been incredible. I think she's had 6 sessions (once a week) and she's already swimming underwater for about 5 feet. She can float on her back and is working on some other life saving skills (floating back and front, treading water) and I'm confident that by the end of the summer she'll be there. She is very happy with this new ability - she even did an underwater flip at class the other day!
Audrey also did a week long camp last week. I wouldn't have normally considered doing a camp for her, but one of her friends was doing the camp and we were able to sign up for half off the normal fee, so it worked out well. It was at her gymnastics gym and she really enjoyed it. She learned some fun new skills and tricks that she showed me at the end of each day. She also came home TIRED which is a win in my book! She was shy the first day and I thought we would have a problem when I left, but they said after a while she settled in and started to participate and had fun.
We've seen some of her school friends for play dates - she's actually started doing "drop off" playdates now and to her, that's a big deal (actually it is to me too!). I think it makes her feel like a big girl to know that I'm not there overseeing what they're doing. She has matured so much in the last few months, I still am in shock at times when I look at her. JJ is talking a lot and starting to play games like pretending he's Buzz Lightyear and jumping off the couch "To Infinity...And Beyond!!". He's such a sweetie. When he's not yelling. :)
When we aren't out and about, we are at home playing in the water table, riding bikes, or taking it easy inside. Sometimes we get worn out from being out every day and I think its good to take a break at home now and then. Audrey's favorite toy right now is My Little Pony. She's got a ton of them (I picked them up from a yard sale) and she will go in her room and play for HOURS. No Exaggeration. It's awesome, because I think it gives her the mental break and alone time from the boys and she comes out in a good mood. The boys are really in to their trains, or at least JJ is. Nathaniel is really in to wrecking whatever JJ and Audrey are doing. :) haha. He does actually like his ring stacker and a few other toys, but he's still young so anything that can fit in his mouth or be thrown across the room is good in his book.
Like I said earlier, Josh has been working a ton lately. Its good in some ways, but the kids also miss him and the days are loooong when I'm at it myself. Plus (also good) I've been super busy with real estate this summer. I sold my two listings (one closes tomorrow and one closes in August) so that's taken a lot of my time, and I've also been doing some training type things with the office, and have started some new advertising things that have kept me working. I've had a good year and am hoping the second half of 2015 will be as productive as the first half was for me. The kids are so patient and understanding when I have to work, and I try really hard to keep my promises that if they keep calm while i'm working, that I'll then take them to do something fun...even if all we have time for is to go get an ice cream cone.
We go on vacation to New Jersey on Friday night, and we'll be there for a week. Then we're home for a few days before mom comes in, then we leave Aug 1 to drive to Texas for about 2 weeks. I can't wait!! I even turned down a new listing this week because I am so looking forward to vacation and not having a ton of stress and work hanging over me. I've got a ton of loose ends to finish up today, then pool this afternoon, packing, a settlement tomorrow, and then vacation mode! Yay! Happy Summer, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment